Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Domestic Demons from Hell

A few posts ago I was waxing lyrical about the vacuum cleaner I had planned to buy. Signed, sealed and delivered, it lasted 20 minutes before something died. Lovely. $300.00 (including ferry costs to get off the Island) and the damned thing had to be emptied rather a lot, and then the carpet spinning brush thingy choked. And so did I.

Mercifully, it still had great suction, which allowed me to attach one of the spiffy attachments for bare floors and also to deal with the frighteneing great billows of cobwebs. BUT NOT THE CARPETS. No. The main place where dog hair sticks and builds up...

After some investigation (really, this machine is completely disassemleable -not a real word, I know, but so what - and all the parts are totally washable. Very cool.) I discovered the belt had broken. Strange.... I had envisioned the building of a solid and long term relationship here, and this gave me pause. But I'm trying hard to be positive about all things. So I gave it the benefit of the doubt.

All sweetness and Light, I called (long distance) to the retailer and told them my dilemma, telling them that the belt had snapped after 20 minutes use. I suggested that they send me two as a courtesy, but only one arrived in the mail today.

Very excited, I swivelled locks and clicked bits apart, and put the belt on. Clicked, swivveled, put everything back together, Voila! simple as pie. Turn it on. Suction but no spin.

Give me strength. I'll have to go off Island again (another Ferry fee) and exchange it.

Is this a conspiracy?

5 comments:

ABKirk said...

Yes. I think it is a conspiracy. I was just going out for a run and the Tornado sirens have gone off again. We're supposed to get in the bathtub and pull a matress on top of us. If you can get your money back I'd suggest getting a Sears Kenmore Progressive. Its under $300, works great (and I mean Great on dog hair) You may be able to order one from Amazon. HM

ABKirk said...

Hi Bird, Thanks for writing. I'm having a hard time. J is a problem and I have suddenly realized that maybe I would/could enjoy a relationship with someone who would be a true friend and an equal. Right now I live an unbelievably isolated, closed life and I want to do better. I went out for coffee with someone Sunday morning . . . blind date kind of thing. He beautiful in every way I could see, and I was so nervous I was shaking. I felt he was too good, too warm, too kind for me. That I didn't deserve someone like that. I know this is after 1 hour of conversation, but I cried on the way home, and I'm crying now. He told me to call him, I did, but he hasn't called back. I've never "dated" . . . I don't know what people do. How long are you supposed give someone to call you back before you give up.

Are you OK yourself? Are you getting better? Taking your medicine? You've been so quiet.

ABKirk said...

Thanks Bird,
Would you help me write a personal? Something along the lines of "Eccentric Weirdo seeks same, must like kids and animals"

HM

ABKirk said...

And sorry you got bitten! What got into him?

HM

ABKirk said...

What's msn? If you ever want to email me directly my address is akirk@uta.edu