Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Shedding the Bah-Humbug....

Hi All, just thought you should know that my mother arrives in two days. I have been diverting and trying not to have conniptions. To keep my mind off getting overwhelmed by the fact that the house is a disaster (and before anyone says 'she's coming to visit you, not the house', this is and isn't strictly true. The Kraut factor, remember? The clean-freak Principle, which is ingrained in her and all of her ancestors, but which I am able to conveniently overlook - or be in denial of- from time to time. Lately has been one of those times....) Also, our vacuum cleaner is dead.

So anyway, I digress, and have been all day. But it was a productive and creative digression. I made the most stunning wreath for the door with cedar, balsam, fir - all pilfered from the land. Some cut and some scavenged from the ground, thanks to the recent storms - fresh holly, ivy and a red satin bow with silver edges. Lovely. Also made some hanging clusters of same as the above, with bows as well to put at the corners of the deck. It looks festive and welcoming, even if the interior of the house does not.

Still haven't got a tree and there may only be a few left for sale, maybe we can get one from B's father's farm? We'll see....

Meanwhile, a cup of tea is in order and then I have to do a blitz cleaning, straighten up mum's bedroom which is currently still the 'junk room'...and try not to lose my mind in the process. Tomorrow I'm back at work, and then dinner at my brother's so I wont be able to do much in the way of preparation before she arrives on Thursday afternoon....

Please, wish me luck!

P.s I have not made or bought a single present yet. I dont know what I am going to do..... YIKES!

3 comments:

Jonathan said...

Enjoy the holidays with your mom! Thats what you're going to do. Presents dont make the holiday, the people do. I didn't understand that myself until my first x-mas alone with no family. It looked to be a bleek holiday...no tree, no gifts...NOTHING. But when I with my friends and spent x-mas day together, I found that its not what; but WHO is there.

Jay

Anonymous said...

Hey,
Don't let your mother become too much of a burden on you. Shake it off.

Concerning the gifts, can you say "A Donation has been made in your name to the National Cancer Society?" They don't even have to be real... :)

The DT

ABKirk said...

I hope luck, love and skill bring you wonderful visit. Your house sounds lovely. Who else would have a handmade wreath? Merry Christmas.

HM, a mad scientist