Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Are we Crazy?

The short answer is YES. Snowy roads, dark, looming snow storm notwithstanding, I did really well. Only stalled the car three times, and they were all times when I was starting up, as in going into first, rather than on the open road.

I've only driven standard once before. A lamentable 15 minutes, last summer, which almost included assault and battery, and I didn't speak to my mother the rest of the day . You should know that in my family, she isn't famous for being a great driver anyway. This fact is something she would argue vehemently against, but you should see her drive. Seriously. Note to Self and others: If EVER it seems like a good idea to let your mother teach you to drive her standard car, take a deep breath, step away from the vehicle, take your meds and realise that going to that place would be very very bad. Save yourself.

When we got to my brother's place, I jumped around screaming, "I drove here, I drove here! Woo-hoo! I drove standard!" I was so excited. And it isn't that hard. And then B, God love him, said "You did great, Baby. You drive almost as well as your mother...:) " What a tease....

Dinner was incredible and we all had a SUCH fabulous time! Drank too much, laughed a lot. Took a cab home.

1 comment:

Donna said...

A former boyfriend tried to teach me to drive standard one time, in an ancient Pinto in a large parking lot...it was a complete disaster and I've managed to live a meaningful life not knowing how. Congrats on driving, and in the snow too! Any chance we can get a pic of your general store? My family used to vacation on Main Island (or is it Maine?) when I was a kid and I fondly remember their little store.