Thursday, January 18, 2007

Shit, shit shit....

Today I heard that one of the people who lives on a boat in the marina, died last night of asphyxiation. Carbon monoxide, from his Kerosene heater. Insufficient ventilation. He passed out, and that was it.....

Later in the day, a customer came in, someone I know as an acquaintance. Someone I like very well. She lives on a boat, with her child. She's had a hard life, is a struggling and very talented artist. She looked like hell warmed over, and I stepped away from my till, purely instinctively, and simply threw my arms around her, the glance we shared as she came in conveying at once that I knew the news, and that she was utterly shattered by it. I hugged her tight, trying to absorb her pain, and tell her with my arms that I felt for her and wanted to take some of her sorrow away, if I could, into myself.

She fairly collapsed into my arms, and shook like a leaf as she told me that last night her neighbour, on his boat, had died, and that she and her son had likewise nearly died of the same problem. If it hadn't been for their carbon monoxide detector they would be as dead as he. Then she said that their dog had been hit by a car 4 days ago, and been killed. I knew they had raised him, and bottle fed him from birth. That often they had eaten oatmeal for days on end, being broke, she and her son, so that they could afford to buy real dog food for their pup. I knew how much they had sacrificed to keep him and make sure he would be healthy and well. He was a great dog. I met him and I tell you this because I know it personally to be true. Some dogs are dogs, and some dogs are people. He was a Mensch.

She lost her neighbour and friend, her dog, and nearly her son and her own life in the last few days.

Jesus Christ. Please say a Prayer for M...She deserves a fucking break.....

I look around me and see my healthy dogs, see myself in a healthy relationship, with a job, and a roof overhead, my cats happy and my STUFF, and am ashamed for every single time I have every complained.

Please say a prayer for M.

4 comments:

Donna said...

How sad and heart-breaking, all of it. I'm glad your community has you.

ABKirk said...

Will do. HM

Anonymous said...

Poor woman. Consider the prayers said. Maybe life will turn around and send her something wonderful. A stray pup - a new heating system - a winning lotto ticket. I hope so - it breaks my heart to see people suffer.
WC

Anonymous said...

That sucks. It's like the book of Job, but suckier. I hope she carries on.

The DT